Started October 15th, 2010 - 47.5 hours
Before startign this step I decided to construct the cradles that hold the ailerons in a vertical postion so it is possible to reivet it. Cutout a couple of boards using the flap nose rib as a guide. The only purpose of this cradle is to support it so it is suitable for riveting.
Gathered all the pieces tonight that will be used for the entire aileron construction. Checked all the ribs flange angles so and adjusted to 90 degrees. Clecoed the ribs and doublers to the spar.
The hardest part with these is keeping the parts in the right place. The pieces are pretty much identical when it comes to the ribs and the skins. I temporarily placed all the pieces in their respective spots and labeled them in multiple spots so they could be easily identified. Made the rest of the process much easier by taking the guess work out of it.
Got all the ribs and counter balance attached. A bit tricky but also got the counter balance match drilled to the A-1004 ribs. Not sure why, but you only need to drill the top attach pioint on the inside rib to the counter balance. Could easily do both, but oh well!
Clecoed the main ribs and hinge bracket to the spar, match drilled and countersunk the appropriate holes. Also did the same process for the outer hinge bracket and main rib. Then took everything apart. That is a shock, put together, take apart, put together, take apart...
Marked all the skin stiffeners and cut using a band saw. This takes a bit of time but not hard. Just make sure that you know where you are cutting. The last 13/32" is cut off of the aft portion to make room for the trailing edge. When attaching them to the skins, double check the placement and configuration so that you do not put the ribs the same for the top and bottom. They are not rivete together so ther are offset a bit when in place.
All stiffeners are placed, match drilled and marked accordingly so they can be placed back into their correct postion when riveting. All were taken apart, deburred, dimpled, Blah Blah Blah as normal and everything primed. Let them dry overnight and back riveted all the stiffeners in place.
Cleecoed the assembly together, ribs, spar, main ribs and now completed skins. It is important I guess that the aileron lay flat on the table and weighted down to make sure that it is completely straight while it is match drilled. Also match drilled the trailing edge and then countersunk both sides perpendicular to the surface. All the rest of the parts have now been deburred, dimpled and primed. Time for final assembly.
Final assembly starts with the cunter balance being bolted to the ribs and then place in the nose skin. This final assembly is done in the cradle. This does make it much easier. It was then time to insert the spar and rivet in place. Then insert the top skin, rivet together to the spar, then on to the bottom the same way.
Not that the skins are in place and riveted to the spar, the main ribs are inserted and riveted and then clecoed the trailing edge in place.
The rivets are is a specific sequence and you jump around a bit. Make sure that you read through the instructions a coupel of times and understand this. Can be done in the wrong order very easily. This is sure so that the aileron stays flat and continues to be once riveted. This is all done so I used some tank sealant on the trailing edges, inserted a cleco in every hole and clamped to the work bench for a couple of days while it dries. Then place all the rivets.
Fabricated the A-1012 AND A-1013 That are used in hinge brackets as spacers for the aileron push rods. All hinge brackets are attached with bolts and nuts. Before attaching the aileron to the wing, attach the pushrod to the hinge bracket. I did not due this for one of the ailerons and it was very difficult to get the spacers, washers and nuts on the bolt attaching the pushrod to the aileron hinger bracket. Worked great doing it before on the other aileron.
Ailerons are all done. Not sure if it is just me, the process of construction or what, but man did these things go on forever. This was one of the most trying parts to build so far. Seems like they took forever and not much viewable progress. Anyway, yipee they are done and now on to the flaps.
Click on images to view full gallery.