Build Log RV-10 #1

Blog for a Vans RV-10 Airplane Build

Wing Ribs

Started March 2, 2010 Build Time 34 Hours

Looks like this could be another one of those sections that will test   your patience.  Well, off  I go.

Gathered all the wing ribs  and sorted them out, there are three  different types - W-1010, W-1011  and W-1012.  First these must be  straightened and fluted.  I found that  the after section only needed to  be fluted and not much cause the bow  was quite small.

It was then time to fabricate  support bracket  for the torque tube  support.  A simple process and just takes time.   Once completed attached  torque tube support, the fabricated spacer and  fabricated angle along  with the VA-146 Flange bearing.  Match drilled  all the holes clecoing as  I went.  Ready to be prepped and primed then  set aside for now.

Then moved on to clecoing on the flap hinge  rib and the flap hinge  bracket to  2 of the W-1010 and W-1011 wing ribs  (did them all since I  am building both wings at the same time) and  match drilled all the holes  into the flap bracket and the wing rib.   Did this also to the wing most  inner wing ribs that have the torque  tube supports on them.

It mentions to trim some of the flange  on one of the wing ribs for each  wing, W-1011.  When I first did this  was not paying much attention and  took the ribs that I just match  drilled the flap hinge brackets and  removed those flange pieces.  Found  out soon after that this was  supposed to be done to the other W-1011  wing ribs.  Have new ones  ordered from Vans second day air.

While I was ordering, decide I was going to add the electric aileron   trim to my build so that was is also on its way.

I then  attached all the wing ribs to the wing spars with cleco's.  Match   drilled all the #12 holes in the upper and lower attach points of the   forward most flange of the wing ribs.  Once completed moved on to match   drill all the #30 holes in the same flange.  Next match drilled the #40   holes in the upper and lower rib tabs and the flanges of the main  spar.

When the wing ribs are attached, I went back and checked  the direction  and made sure that each wing ribs was correct.  Good  thing as two of  them needed to be moved around.

Since all wing  ribs are now clecoed in their respective position, I took  them off one  by one, deburred, preped and primed each one as I went so  that I knew  that would be going back in the exact same spot as I first  attached  them.  Just before re-attaching each rib, I drilled the bottom  of each  to 3/4 inch for the conduit for wire runs instead of inserting  the  bushings.  Also drilled and inserted the bushings for the pitot  line.

All wing ribs have been put in place and riveted to the wing  spar.  I  inserted the rivets into the holes and to make sure that I did  not ruin  the alodine on the rivets, I covered each one up with tape.   This worked  our really good, the only problem was getting off the blue  tape from  the head of the rivet. 

One other thing that was a  major improvement to the riveting process was  the Tungsten bucking bar I  purchased.  Yes they are expensive at $130  for a small block and  contemplated whether it was worth it or not, but  now I know.  One of  the best purchases I have made for tools.

Click on Images to view full gallery.