Build Log RV-10 #1

Blog for a Vans RV-10 Airplane Build

Outboard Leading Edge

Started May 18, 2010 Build Time 19 Hours

Started the day off gathering all the parts needed for the leading edges of the wings.  Read throught the directions and they seem pretty straight forward for this part.

Gathered all the leading edge ribs.  Fluted, Straightened and adjusted all the flanges to make sure everything was straight.  Then deburred everything with the scotchbrite wheel.

Fabricated the  leading edge J-stiffeners for both leading edges.  Got the center line marked used to center the stiffener in the skin holes when drilling.

The next step involved modifying some if the ribs so that they fit around the wing spar bars and rivet heads on hte main spar assembly.  Two ribs per side must be modified, each one has a different cut for top and bottom.  Made me a bit nervous at first but after getting into it, not bad at all, just follow the directions and cut graph.

Cut out the leading edge vee blocks that will be used to hold the the leading edges in the cradle.  Since I am doing both leading edges at the same time I made two cradles.

Cut the splice strips from the fuel tank skins with a dremel cut off tool.  Deburred the edges on these and the leading edge skins. Then removed the blue protective vinyl from the insides of the skins.

Put the skins in the cradles and started clecoing the ribs to the skins.  This was a bit frustrating getting the holes to line up but found that starting at the leading edge and working aft doing both sides at the same time worked the best for me.  After a couple of the ribs were put in I got the J-stiffener put in and drilled. 

Ribs and stiffener are in so off to some final drilling of the holes.  Stared with finishing the stiffener then to the ribs.  I ended up putting clecos in every hole to make sure everything stayed lined up.  The splice strip was also attached to the inboard skin edge and nut plates were final drilled to the splice strip.

Now that everything is match drilled just need to enlarge the screw holes on the splice strip and then disassemble both leading edges to debur all the holes, counter sink, dimple, alodine and prime all the parts so final assembly can be done. Have I mentioned I hate deburring yet????

Final assembly starts with  riveting the nutplats to the spice strip.

The next step involves installing the stall warning device.  I have chosen not to use the included stall warning system and chose to go with the AOA system from Advanced Flight Systems.  However I will not be needing the AOA display since I will be integrating it into the AFS EFIS system. 

You can check out the log on the AOA installation and pics here.

Reassambled the leading edges as I did in the beginning and started to rivet beginning with the two most aft holes in the leading adge ribs and then instead of starting at the leading edge as I did when clecoing.  The direction mention to start at the aft edge and move progressively towards the leading edge.  This was not to bad at all except for the last 4 rivets back from the leading edge for each rib.  This required some bucking help. Somehow talked my lovely wife into helping.  What a trooper.

Enlarged the tie-down holes for the tie-down rings on the bottom of the leading edge.  Used the unibit for this and worked great.

Just about ready to attach the leading edges to the wing spar but first need to run a ddrill through each of the aft holes on the leading edge with a #40 bit.  Then clecoed the leading edge to the wing spar.  Final drilled the holes in the main spar to the aft flange of the leading edge ribs.

Now that the final drill it is off to more riveting.  Just followed the riveting per instructions and it moved right along till I need to rivet the leading edge skins to the main spar.  Again got my wife to do some bucking.  She must really love me!!!

Leading edges are done and attached.

Cick Images to view full gallery.