Started April 5, 2010 Build Time 46 Hours
Took the time last night to read through this section to see if there are any catches that seem to come with almost every other step. The only thing that I questioned a bit was the sanding of where the two skins overlap but once I was there, not bad. Once these things get on there should look like there is some good progress happening.
To start was to locate the J-Stiffeners that were fabricated in the first step of the wing construction. Found them and put them in place. Then grabbed the wing walk doublers and layed them in the correct location, took a few minutes to figure this out. Must be having a slow brain day. Once in place placed the W-1002 top wing skin over them and clecoed into place along with the J-Stiffeners.
This uses a lot of cleco's as I put them in every third hole. Good thing for the air cleco tool or my hands would be shot by now. Finally got both wings completely clecoed down and ready to start final drilling all the holes. You need to final drill all the holes common the top wing skins and the spars, J-stiffeners, wing walk doublers, ribs and the nut plates. In other words, every damn hole but the aft row that are used for ailerons and flaps.
The next step is the only thing that I found was really a gotcha for other builders and probably would have done the same thing if I had not looked at other builder sites. This pertains to the aft most screw hole that needs to be dimpled for a #8 flush head screw. The other one that may get a few and almost did me was when you countersink the skins over the wing walk doublers, make sure you do not countersink the holes that are common to the J-stiffeners as the doublers do not go over them. Anyway, got all the correct holes countersunk and dimpled per the instructions with no issues. yeah!
Now that everything is final drilled, time to disassemble so the parts can be deburred, dimpled, and primed to be ready for final riveting. Wow, do I love this step, it certainly has to be by favorite. Who would not love all this deburring. (total sarcasm)
Primer has been drying now for a couple of days and ready to get them clecoed back onto the ribs so that we can start the riveting process. Trying to figure out how I am going to do this by myself, maybe backriveting. Nope, seems that I need to find me a buddy to help. Of course my always will friend Scott decided he was up for the task. Hope he comes back after this, there are a lot of rivets in each wing.
Well, Friday was here and Scott and I started the daunting task of putting in the skin rivets. Started out pretty slow but eventually found a steady rythm and kept on bucking. Intially thought this was going to go a bit faster but after almost 4 hours, we only had one of the wings done. Time to quite as we are both wore out. Will finish next Friday afternoon I hope. In the meantime I am going to start on the leading edge pieces while I wait for help again.